GCSP Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the Grand Challenges?
- Make solar energy economical
- Provide energy from fusion
- Develop carbon sequestration methods
- Manage the nitrogen cycle
- Provide access to clean water
- Restore and improve urban infrastructure
- Advance health informatics
- Engineer better medicines
- Reverse-engineer the brain
- Prevent nuclear terror
- Secure cyberspace
- Enhance virtual reality
- Advance personalized learning
- Engineer the tools of scientific discovery
I’m not sure which Grand Challenge I’m most interested in. Do I have to decide now?
- No you do not have to decide now.
Who is eligible to join the Grand Challenges Scholars Program?
- All undergraduate students in the Fulton Schools of Engineering at the Tempe and Polytechnic campuses
Will I need to take additional courses? What are the requirements?
- Grand Challenges Scholars will complete coursework and/or experiential opportunities within the five components of the Grand Challenges Scholars Program (social consciousness, multicultural, viable business/entrepreneurship, multidisciplinary, and talent), as well as GCSP portfolios
- What are the benefits of the program?
- The program’s goal is to prepare tomorrow’s engineering leaders to solve the grand challenges facing society during the next century. Through completion of the five components of the program, students will have the opportunity to engage in research relating to their selected grand challenge, explore interdisciplinary coursework, gain an international perspective, engage in entrepreneurship, and give back to the community through service learning.
Does the program provide scholarships?
- No, GCSP does not provide a scholarship. However, students in GCSP are eligible to apply for unique GCSP-only funding opportunities to support your experiences in GCSP, such as research and travel.
What is the cost of the program?
- Free of cost
I am a student enrolled in an ASU online degree program, can I join the program?
- Currently the program is not available to online students, however, it may be available in the future. IF you are an online student interested in GCSP, please complete this brief interest form (create interest form – name, anticipated grad year, major, email, etc.)
How long will it take for me to complete the program?
- Students typically are engaged in the program throughout their entire collegiate career until graduation. Some students may complete the requirements of the